Monday, April 14, 2008

The Cursed Isle of Croatia

Now, before I begin, I don't fancy myself a geographer, so Croatia might not be an "Isle." In fact, I'm pretty sure that it isn't one.

Still, doesn't it sound cool that way?

So, as fun and exciting as Croatia was, it seemed to have something against emerson as a whole. It was reminiscent of LOST in the way that things just kept going wrong. Murphy's law was in full effect. 

If you read down this page, you'll recall that half of the things we had come to see were closed to the public for some reason or another. Nonetheless, that was the least of our problems. 

Saturday - After a night of partying, around 12 of us were jumped on isolated occasions by the same group of Croatian teenagers while walking back to our hotel. No one was badly injured, but I spent a couple hours in a Croatian hospital and then a Croatian Police Station. 
Time to cross those off my list of things to do before I die...
IMPORTANT SIDE NOTE: no one is badly hurt, including me. You can breathe, grandparents.

Sunday - During a day excursion to Bosnia, 5 people (out of 40) had forgotten their passports. After 2 hours or more of driving, the entire bus was forced to turn around at the border. Fortunately, I was NOT on the bus. However, the ones without the passports got the coolest souvenir ever - A rejection letter, telling them they were forbidden to enter Bosnia. 

Monday - Earthquake at 2 am, followed by a mysterious illness in one Emerson student and a less mysterious food poisoning incident in another. 

I wish I'd been awake for the Earthquake.

Tuesday - After swimming in the Adriatic sea, several students had their first encounter with sea urchins. Fortunately, I've got urchin-dodging skillz. Also, Caitlin got electrocuted. Seriously though, who electrifies a LADDER?

Wednesday - Since it was only a half day in Croatia, I don't think we had TIME for anything to go wrong. 

Anyways, despite Dubrovnik being deadly, everyone is OK and I actually really enjoyed our excursion. Mmm... lots of cheap ice cream. 

Also, Croatia's cool for putting a fish, a bird and a bear on their coins. 
From here, we journeyed onward to Barcelona - but more about that later...



No comments: