Monday, January 7, 2008

I Guess the Bedouins make their own Kool-Aid...

Today,  we started our day waaaaay too early, around 4:30, and drove about an hour to ascend Masada. Without a doubt, this was the most exercise I had gotten all week - by the end of the trek I was sufficiently sweaty, but not entirely exhausted. From the top, we did a little exploring, along with some education about the history of Masada. I won't lie, I got much more out of walking around the rocky stairways and looking out over the canyon than I did from the history lesson.

From here, we had a quick lunch, then traveled onward to David Ben Gurion's burial site. I actually found this history lesson to be much more interesting! Ben Gurion really was a fascinating person, someone I could see myself looking to for inspiration. 

From here we drove to the Negev Desert to experience life with the nomadic Bedouins. After an introductory speech from one of the Bedouin men running the campsite, we had a feast of chicken, pita, rice, hummus and deliciousness. Oddly enough, the drinks they served us were reminiscent of Kool-Aid, but what do I know?

After the feast, we had a bonfire which turned into a bunch of American and Israeli jews gathering to sing pop songs from the 80's and 90's. I can't complain, it was actually very nice. 

Finally, it was bed time, where we all gathered into a giant tent and slept together. (wink wink)
 

No comments: