Monday, January 21, 2008

In the Bathroom, European.

It's the first monday after arriving the Castle, and already I can happily say that everything is amazing.

Now, a quick recap - On Thursday I woke up in my swanky boston hotel room at 4 AM, after passing out after a small soup and pita chips dinner at 6 the night before. I chilled, talked to Kirk since he was the only one online at the time, and eventually got up and ready for everything. A little before 9, I lugged my 100+ pounds of bags to the lobby of Emerson's Little Building. 
    "Luggage" finally makes sense to me. 
Anyways, from here, we sat around hearing about what exactly was going to happen in the next 24 hours. Then we got a 90 minutes to take care of some last minute things, so I decided to walk around boston a bit. I stopped in for lunch at a place called B. Goode, a specialty hamburger place on Newbury street. Everything is handmade, and it was pretty good, although I don't think I'd get that particular burger again. It certainly wasn't as good as 5 Guys. 

After that, we had a brief time-killer lecture about Anne Frank and Edie... Edie something. The name escapes me and Google isn't helping right now.  Anyways, then we went to the airport, got on the plane, where I promptly fell asleep. Thank god I was still on Israeli time, it saved me from jet lag. 

After another 3 hour bus ride, we arrived at the Castle gates and it finally hit me - I'm in Europe! 

The last few days have been a mix of orientation, meeting people/socializing, getting accustomed to our new home. It's a freakin' castle. When I got here, I didn't quite know what to expect, but its truly amazing. I think I'll go take some pictures between my classes tomorrow, just to capture the essence of the Kasteel in all its glory. 

Oh right! Today we had our first classes. I woke up at 9, got showered, got a small breakfast and went to Art History: Renaissance at 10. It's amazing how Duckers (the Duke) is able to make it all so clear and engaging at the same time.  Then after lunch at 11:30, it was time for Literary Foundations with Karen Lindsay - another very cool teacher. She clearly knows what she's talking about and loves her job and what she teaches, which is always awesome to see. Then after a 15 minute break, it was time for Intercultural Communication with Chester Lee. This class seems interesting, but I don't feel like Chester is as knowledgeable as Rob and Karen were. Still, the class isn't pointless.  My only other NEW class is Visual society, which I have for 3 and a half hours tomorrow - fortunately there's a break for dinner from 6:15 - 7:00. 

So that's my life right now. American Dan is ready to see the world. 

No comments: