Monday, March 3, 2008

Paris, Where God's Love costs 15 bucks.

Hey, remember that time I completely forgot to finish my story?
Anyways, from Dublin I traveled solo to Paris to meet up with a whole mess of people at the Woodstock hostel - I even ran into some other Emersonians on the flight!  After touching down around 10, we took a bus out from the tiiiiiny little airport to Paris, and then navigated the winding vines that make up the Parisian Metro System.  I found my way to Rue De Rodier with only a few minor complications like, oh I don't know, my lack of speaking ANY french. 
 "Parlay Voo Ing-Lay"  became my Mantra for the weekend. 
Now, don't get me wrong - there's a feeling of validation that comes from being able to communicate with someone in another country - but sometimes its just alot easier to label yourself an outsider and get the answers you need. If its any consolation, I can order a baguette or a sandwich with moderate success! 
Anyways, I arrived at the hostel and met up with everyone. The next day we walked around Paris, starting with the  Sacre Care (or whatever its called),
Quick Side note: Why Don't the jerks with the string bracelets take "no" for an answer? Wait... you don't know about these guys? This is no longer just a side note!
So, in front of the Sacre Care is a HUGE grass hill with stone stairs leading up to it. See the flickr for pictures of this, I took several. Anyways, at the stairs there are several black guys with yarn in hand. They literally block off the stairs and confront tourists. Now, if you're not careful, they'll grab your wrist and start braiding a bracelet on you - If they do this, they'll start telling you that you owe them 10 Euros. 
Needless to say, its pretty messed up. 
Anyways, I successfully dodged them a couple times - it helps to look very angry and physically pull your wrist away when they reach for it. The following was an actual dialogue between me and them:

Obnoxious Guy: Hey, Do you have love for God?
Me: Yea, sure. (attempting to walk past without altercation)
Hey, stop, we want to give you some of God's love
Trust me, I've got plenty
You could always use more! (He and 2 others block my path, grabs my wrist)
Listen, I gotta go... (Pulls wrist away)
That's what everyone says!
Yea? Well I mean it. (Push through the 2 guys physically and run over to my friends)

From here we walked the Champs-Elysees, then made our way to the Louvre. It actually was very impressive - and since we're young we got in for free by saying we were under 18! Seeing all these magnificent art pieces together after days of museums in London left me a little burned out as far as art is concerned. Nonetheless, I made sure to see the pieces we've been covering in class, and of course the infamous Mona Lisa. 

Honestly? I don't see what's so great about her. She's just another chick with a smirk. 

Anyways, at this point we all headed home to the hostel and cooked ourselves some pasta dinner to save money. Along with our bottles of 2 Euro wine, we had a great time! That night we headed over to the Red Light District of Paris, which is like Amsterdam-Lite. Still, we had a great time. Shannon even got hit on by a creepy crepe maker! (Note to the reader - if you're a cute girl, never offer a kiss for a free crepe. It's going to go very, very badly.)

On Saturday, we divided in half - Kyle, Zander, Shannon and I headed to the Musee Rodin, which was full of amazing sculptures. Afterward, we wandered around Paris some more, eventually ending up at Luxemburg Park. It was gorgeous, and truly a chance to experience a non-tourist environment. It was a beautiful day and we happily spent almost an hour soaking it all in. 
That night, we went over to Billy's Aunt and Uncle's and had ANOTHER dinner party. This time, of course, we had a real kitchen which made everything that much better. Afterward we headed out to the Eiffel Tower for a fantastic night basking in its glow. We picnicked on the lawn underneath with wine and gummy bears, and everyone had a great night. 
On Sunday, before we headed home, Kyle and I headed up to the top of the Eiffel Tower - the pictures are available on your right, but it was truly amazing. Afterward we headed home, and my 10 day, 3 city adventure ended.

Upon arrival, we ALL, all 80 of us, crashed. 


No comments: